The Fighter - Directed by David O. Russell
BANG! WOW! CRACKLE SNAP! What a wonderful and exhausting 4th of July weekend. I had a wonderful time with family; from birthday parties to art projects to watching/playing with numerous little kids to dominating grown up games of BAGS (aka Cornhole) to modest yet satisfying fireworks shows.
Physically and mentally beat up, I turned on the TV and saw a Rocky marathon on AMC was running. I never saw a movie that made me #tingle so much while being so unrealistic as far as the real sport of Boxing goes. I mean honestly, how many boxing matches have you seen where ABSOLUTELY ZERO defense is administered? Don’t believe me? Go watch any Rocky movie and see how little they defend themselves… Am I right?
I started thinking about Revolutionary War films, and realized most of which I wouldn;t recommend, and others that I haven’t seen yet. (HBO MINISERIES “JOHN ADAMS”. I NEED IT IN MY LIFE). However last week I DID see a film that chronicled the true story of the journey of a man who embodied the American dream.
“The Fighter” is based on Micky Ward’s journey from an impoverished Irish-American family rooted in the boxing world. A family that championed an elder son, Dickey Eklund, for a controversial (and perhaps bogus) knockdown of Sugar Ray Leonard and basically treated Micky as an afterthought. Slightly avoiding a SPOILER ALERT, I’ll attest to the fact that this movie, to me, reflects the gifts of opportunity and individual freedoms that allow ANY driven human being to accomplish anything if you work hard enough to accomplish it.
On the acting front, Christian Bale masterfully encompasses the Dickey character, as well as Melissa Leo, both of which absolutely deserved the Academy Award. However, personally, I thought Mark Wahlberg (as Micky) and Amy Adams [swoon (as Charlene)] both brought emotive and engaging performances. But my opinion matters little, after all.
Long story short: In this country, and those with equality and freedom; against all odds, all of us can reach such heights.
Did you like this movie if you’ve seen it?
BIG TUESDAY MORNING POLL QUESTION: ROCKY or THE FIGHTER?
Posted on Tuesday, 5 July 2011
- nnontparnasse answered: The Fighter, no offense to Rocky I just felt the fighter was more natural and emotional…. not to mention it really happened.
- likewedontcaree answered: i feel like a bad Lowellite for not having seen this yet, i keep meaning to… but it’s super cool that it was filmed in my town, right? :)
- michisgone answered: the fighter all the way. i agree with you on christian bale and melissa leo’s performances; they both were incredible.
- tobringhimback answered: i like you <3
- allie-hill answered: The Fighter by far one of the best films of last year.
- petitroi likes this
- tveitnineten answered: Oh I’ve seen this movie! I thought it was fantastic. And Rocky’s a classic, so I have to go with that.
- more-dreams-and-less-life likes this
- misharmy likes this
- maddiebeth3 answered: The Fighter! It’s such a good movie.
- maddiebeth3 likes this
- confess-your-love likes this
- mundoestranhoperfeito answered: ok good
- alejandranpr answered: ROCKY!
- livinglongdistance answered: I absolutely loved “The Fighter” mainly because I adore Amy Adams.
- karlypse answered: haven’t seen it :)
- seoulyhillary answered: The Fighter all the way. Such a fantastic movie. There is so much amazing talent in this movie. I could watch it for hours.
- boyfights answered: having never seen rocky, i pick the fighter. it made me super bummed but in the best possible way.
- ahaynalang likes this
- ijudgeyoubyyoururl likes this
- grace-eludes-me likes this
- citlalizz likes this
- citlalizz reblogged this from thewilliambeckett and added:
- therexmannings likes this
- farpopdiaries likes this
- nwrann answered: Rocky!
- itendtowrite answered: Hands down The Fighter. The acting was a million times better, and the story touched my heart. As opposed to Rocky, which is just boring.
- monkeyculture likes this
- thiefofhearts13 likes this
- kaitalyn answered: THE FIGHTER
- rainydayemily answered: YES, I loved it! Great seeing it in a tiny independent theatre. I definitely enjoyed it more than Rocky.
- kitt0nmitt0ns answered: The FIghter, hands down. Or hands up, I guess.
- lolavader answered: i think the best part is the one played by christian bale…
- grapefruits answered: I’m not even a huge Wahlberg fan, but I definitely think he was snubbed for this movie. I thought he was great.
- ahhhmayzing answered: You are sooo handsome. Are you going to have a concert here in the Philippines? Hmmm. :)
- joooyyyy likes this
- shesanangelwithashotgun likes this
- heyitssydney likes this
- quietgirlriot answered: Yes, I like it… It’s excellent :D
- jesszella likes this
- fwyk likes this
- 20-dollarhiatus answered: I saw this movie with my mom, it was so well done. An amazing film.
- maintaining-equilibrium likes this
- jjs- answered: The Fighter!!!!
- dowisetrepla answered: as a philadelphian, if i don’t say rocky i not-so-spontaneously combust
- kaisparda answered: The Fighter, for sure! <3 Christian Bale really made the film